Saturday, April 5, 2014

A Beginning



Hi there.
So.. I'm Alex, a second semester Senior. 
Why yes, I am about to graduate. 
Do I know what I'm doing next year? Ha. No, no I don't. Funny you should ask.
My major? English. 
Yep.
Nope, don't want to be a teacher.
Yeah, lawyer doesn't sound too appealing either..
A writer you say? well...

As I figure out what I want to be when I grow up (wait I'm practically grown up already?! F*ck!) I keep coming back to this. Whenever I tell my mother how I wish I could just be a writer and accept poverty for the first 10 plus years of my career she always says,

 "Well Alex, in order to be a writer, you have to write."

And the woman makes a good point.
Written material is definitely the first indication of a writer. You go Mom.

I recently read in a forward by Joyce Carol Oates; "If.. you have a natural talent for writing and a love of the imagination, you risk a lifelong deprivation if you fail to cultivate it as vigorously as you can." 

So it turns out, no matter where I end up in life, I'll be screwed if I don't give this a shot anyway. We're all screwed, writer friends. Unless we do something about this writeryness inside.

I've taken three creative writing workshops so yes, I have "written." But only for a deadline. School has taught all of us to perform, even creatively, for a grade. While this blog is no Great American Novel, it will belong solely to me, and will be judged solely by myself ...and my peers. But you guys will be kind, right?

There will be posts that sound far fetched, idiotic, vulnerable, and silly. There will be posts I reflect on with embarrassment and posts that speak to my inner core as a human that I wish to share with the world 40 times over. Most importantly they will be proof that I, Alex Huss, am a writer who writes. A writer who will attempt to "cultivate it as vigorously" as possible.

 I hope you join me on this journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment