Sunday, April 6, 2014

To Share or Not to Share?

If you don't Tweet, Insta, or upload a moment to Facebook, did it really happen?

 As this baby of a blog begins, I find myself questioning the merits of sharing it on one of the many social media platforms.

Recently, a friend and I were discussing the urgency our generation feels to post our accomplishments. He was saying that he got accepted to a program in Europe for the summer. His first instinct was to post about it, make some status that would easily garner upwards of 100 likes. Instead, he told me, he decided to just be happy for himself and his achievement. Sadly, I was impressed.

Why is there this need to share the big moments with everyone we know? After you see someone else's status or Tweet, do you ever really give it much thought? Do you sit and think "Wow, I'm just so happy that Erica has the opportunity to study and drink her face off for a semester in Barcelona?" So why presume that others are thinking of you? Is this "like" phenomenon just another form of self-importance?

 I may gag when I see an engagement or that yet another friend of mine has gained employment, but sure, I'll like the status anyway. That like is instant gratification for us. A sense of connection to our community, a way for us to show "support" and feel "supported" with the click of a button.

But I think at the end of the day, you just have to hope that some people really do care, or that perhaps even a few will be inspired by your achievements. We're all pretty self-obsessed, but if it only takes one more like to make your friend feel appreciated, what's the harm?

So yes, I will share this blog, but not for the likes.
Although a few likes once in a while wouldn't hurt...

1 comment:

  1. A blog is a wonderful form of expression. I really look forward to reading your posts. Unlike most social media! It becomes what you want it to be,

    ReplyDelete