Thursday, April 17, 2014

That's It: Part 1

Due to the ridiculous nature of my every day life, I've decided to write a series of vignettes detailing the smaller moments that result in absolutely nothing but a small story. These delightfully weird interactions happen, and really, that's it. Enjoy

It was 3AM. The pizza had helped sober me up, just enough so I could feel the cold of the night.
Also I was soaked. And barefoot.
I had just come from a "foam party." There, friends and I had been thrown into a baby pool of the glorified dish soap. It had been in our eyes, hair, everywhere. At some point, my shoes had been lost in the sea of white. With some remorse, I let the Target flip flops go.

It sounds about as ridiculous as it was, and as a senior, I was already tired of the whole college party theme scene. How many times can you do CEO's and Corporate Hoe's, Yoga Hoe's and Lax Bro's, any possible play on the word Hoe or Bro, you wonder? Many, many times. It's probably time to graduate.

I walked back to my apartment with my roommates. Just outside my complex, walking through our parking lot, a guy on a balcony from the 3rd floor called to me, "Hey." He was with two others, laughing.
Probably presuming he was messing with a drunken, soaked, barefoot idiot, I knew what he was up to. To be fair, I was a lot of those things.
"Hey," I called back.
"Where are you?" he asked. His face was a blur, as he was in the shadows and lets face it, I was somewhat tipsy still.
Where am I? He couldn't mean that literally, clearly I was here..
"Do you mean like, in life?" I asked him.
"Yeah, where are you?" he asked again, chuckling.
My roommates, used to my spontaneity, walked right into our building without me. It was too cold to wait, and I was just at the door, they knew I'd be safe.

"Do you mean existentially?" I pressed to the balcony boy.
"Sure" he responded, amused. He and his friends laughed more.
"Well.. I'm really just trying to find meaning like everyone else, you know, what am I? Will I ever make a difference? Maybe I'll knock some squirrel in a different direction and he'll plant some seed that will be the only tree left on earth and that's how future aliens will evaluate the world we lived in. Or maybe I'm just an ant." I said it half for shock value and half because hey, that's where I am. He asked.

He and his friends got quiet. Not expecting that from a drunk college "hoe" were ya?
"It's been fun guys. But I'm freezing my ass off," I started to walk away.
"...Yo.. do you like Carl Sagan?" one balcony boy asked.
"I do!" I called back without looking.
As I opened the main door of the apartment, I heard one say, "Well that was some heavy shit."

I got to my room, hung up my soap-drenched clothing, took a quick shower, and went to bed.


No comments:

Post a Comment